Road traffic accident abroad*

Accidents abroad caused by an insured motorist

All EU citizens involved in a road traffic accident in another Member State other than their state of residence are entitled to settle their compensation claim for personal injury and property damage in their country of residence and in their own language.

Each motor insurer in the EU must appoint and authorise a Claims Representative in each other Member State to settle any liability in the language of the claimant.

If you are an Irish resident involved in an accident abroad, on your return to Ireland you have a right to start your compensation claim here.

Our office represents a lot of Irish residents, also foreign nationals, who had the been the victims of road traffic accidents while outside Ireland, in another EU country.